BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The mouth of a 4 year old

I have to say, coming in, I did not know how I was going to feel about teaching twenty 4 year olds.  The teaching aspect  I find to be more challenging because the children know very little. I look at it as a blank canvas. haha  It's so exciting to teach colors and letters and watching them understand concepts.  I have to say though, I absolutely love listening to them talk.  They say some of the silliest things not knowing they are being silly.  It's funny how they don't understand that I have a first name or that I don't live at school.  There is a little boy with my maiden name in the class.  I told him that Cox used to be my last name and one of the kids stood up and asked, "Your name used to be Mrs. Talty Cox? They are also curious about my mommy. "Your mommy at work?"  "Is she going to pick you up?" I have one that asks me a billion questions a day. " Why you wear that, Mrs. Talty, Why you have a watch on, Why you eat that?"  I do make my students speak in complete sentences which is working out better than I thought it would.   I do correct them a lot. A lot of them have never been in a structured setting or a setting in general where they have to follow rules and procedures.  The first few weeks were hard on some of them as well as ME!  All the crying for mommy about drove me insane! But now they have totally fallen into routine and do so wonderfully!  I stress independence as much as possible and give the kids responsibilities in the classroom.  Putting their book bags away, making their lunch choice, classroom jobs, etc.   I told them Brendan loves cookies and now they refer to him as the Cookie Monster.   Anywho, this was just kind of a brag on how well my kids are doing!  I am very proud of them for learning so quickly.  4 year olds are so much fun to teach because they really want to learn!  Also, they are just so tiny and say the sweetest things.  I get "I love you's" every day!  What an awesome job I have!

0 comments: